Food safety is an important aspect that needs utmost attention and compliance. It is with this in mind that ISO has compiled the food safety management system (FSMS) so that all organizations part of the food chain directly or indirectly get a standard to follow so that the quality and standards are always held high.
The following are the requirements of ISO 22000: 2018 that organizations need to follow:
1) Organizations are required to charter, execute, maintain and revise the products or services as per the safety norms and in adherence to the use intended.
2) An important step for organizations following the FSMS is to show that they are following the required statutes and regulatory food safety mandates;
3) Analyzing and evaluating the agreed customer food safety requirements and to show adherence is an important requirement.
4) The standard also looks at spreading awareness on the importance of food safety issues among interested stakeholders within the food chain;
5) The ISO standard of food safety is also about ensuring that the stated food safety policy is strictly followed;
6) Showing adherence to the appropriate and interested stakeholders in the FSMS;
7) The standard also requires an organization under the FSMS chain to seek a certification or registration by an external organization. As an alternative the organization can also take steps to review or assess conformity on its own.
The standards of ISO 22000: 2018 are broad and general and can be applied to any or all types of organizations in the food chain, regardless of the size and purpose.
This standard can be followed by any organization small or big, retailer or otherwise.